Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] mixed autochanger configuration LTO2 // LTO3

2009-01-29 16:22:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] mixed autochanger configuration LTO2 // LTO3
From: "Robert LeBlanc" <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:20:33 -0700
> > I will try to answer you on the other thread on how to fix this
> > labeling. And please excuse me if I am not being descriptive enough,
> > am very sleepy (had to get up early this morning to shovel snow/ice
> so
> > the SO could get her car out of the driveway without hitting my
> car..)
> >
> > John
> >

> no thanks a lot !
> hope you r well ...
> in fact ... mixed configuration is a very bad idea ...
> then i will remove LTO2 drive , it s will be better ...
> simpler , us better .

On 21 Jan 2009 I wrote the following concerning adding an LTO4 drive to
our autochanger with two LTO3 drives. So far it is working fine.

We just added a new LTO4 drive to our Neo8000 with two existing LTO3
drives. I thought I would just have to add the drive into the device
section of the SD with a new Media Label and things would be set to go.
Well, the director wants to know what media type the SD is. I've created
a second SD block in the dir pointing to the same SD with a different
name and Media type. Doing a stat storage on both result in the same
info.

Can someone please help me to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the
foot. I was able to label a tape using the LTO3 SD directive with the
LTO4 device, but it did show up as LTO3 media despite what the device
setting is. Relabeling the tape with the second directive did label the
tape as LTO4.

Bacula-sd.conf:
Autochanger {
  Name = Neo8000
  Device = Drive-0
  Device = Drive-1
  Device = Drive-2
  Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
  Changer Device = /dev/tape/neo8000
}

Device {
  Name = Drive-0                      #
  Drive Index = 0
  Media Type = LTO3
  Archive Device = /dev/tape/drive0
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;
  AutoChanger = yes
  Spool Directory = /backup/spool
  Maximum Network Buffer Size = 65536
  # Enable the Alert command only if you have the mtx package loaded
#  Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
  # If you have smartctl, enable this, it has more info than tapeinfo
  Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error %c'"
}

Device {
  Name = Drive-1                      #
  Drive Index = 1
  Media Type = LTO3
  Archive Device = /dev/tape/drive1
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;
  AutoChanger = yes
  Spool Directory = /backup/spool
  Maximum Network Buffer Size = 65536
  # Enable the Alert command only if you have the mtx package loaded
#  Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
#  # If you have smartctl, enable this, it has more info than tapeinfo
  Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error %c'"
}

Device {
  Name = Drive-2                      #
  Drive Index = 2
  Media Type = LTO4
  Archive Device = /dev/tape/drive2
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;
  AutoChanger = yes
  Spool Directory = /backup/spool
  Maximum Network Buffer Size = 65536
  # Enable the Alert command only if you have the mtx package loaded
#  Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
#  # If you have smartctl, enable this, it has more info than tapeinfo
  Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error %c'"
}

Bacula-dir.conf

Storage {
  Name = Neo8000
  Address = 192.168.3.18 # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "mysecretpassword"
  Media Type = LTO3                  # must be same as MediaType in
Storage daemon
  Device = Neo8000
  Autochanger = yes                   # enable for autochanger device
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 2
}

Storage {
  Name = Neo8000-LTO4
  Address = 192.168.3.18 # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = " mysecretpassword "
  Media Type = LTO4                  # must be same as MediaType in
Storage daemon
  Device = Neo8000
  Autochanger = yes                   # enable for autochanger device
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 2
}

Robert LeBlanc
College of Life Sciences Computer Support
Brigham Young University
(801) 422-1882
leblanc AT byu DOT edu