Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Another take on backing up to hot-swap removable disk drives

2009-01-29 12:08:58
Subject: [Bacula-users] Another take on backing up to hot-swap removable disk drives
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, bacula-devel <bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:06:38 -0500
Some time ago I wrote a shell script based on the disk-changer script
and a howto describing my experiences using USB hard drives as
"magazines" for a virtual autochanger on Linux. Someone (Brian
DeRocher?) put it up on the Bacula wiki last year at
http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=removable_disk. Since then, I ran
into some limitations. The lack of virtual drive state info could cause
problems when magazine disks were swapped while a virtual drive was
"loaded". Also, it provides no way to define a single autochanger that
can make use of simultaneously attached disk drives, as for example, a
SATA hot-swap bay. As a result, I decided to write a C/C++ program to
replace the script.

The GPLv2 source is available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vchanger/ or by anonymous svn at
https://vchanger.svn.sourceforge.net. There is also a 32-bit Win32
installer. The Win32 version uses juntion points and seems to work on
XP, at least from the command line.

Only one person besides me has used it thus far, so use at your own
risk. However, I have been using it for a few months with Bacula 2.4.2
through 2.4.4 running on a Centos 5.2 xen PV domU. (I run Bacula SD and
DIR in a dedicated VM on a Linux HA cluster, though it doesn't yet
fail-over completely automatically.)  I have also tried it on Fedora 8,
9, and 10. The latest version has been in use on the Centos domU for
about a week.

A Howto in HTML is included with the source, describing how to setup a
multi-drive multi-magazine autochanger for Bacula and get automounting
of the magazine drives working using udev and autofs.

Cheers,

Josh Fisher