Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Considering upgrade from bacula 1.38.11

2009-01-29 09:47:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Considering upgrade from bacula 1.38.11
From: Allan Black <Allan.Black AT btconnect DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:45:45 +0000
John Drescher wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 5:19 AM, ToMasz <nunatarsuaq AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>> I've been using bacula 1.38.11 for some time and recently upgraded
>> successfully one of my file daemons to ver. 2.4.4.
>> Now I'm thinking about complete upgrade on all machines including
>> director but am unsure about possible pitfalls.
>> Will my config files still work? Or maybe newer versions use other
>> database solutions (I'm using internal bacula base)?
> Your config files will work on every machine except possibly the
> director. Its been a very long time (2 years?) since I have used 1.38
> so I am not very sure of the changes needed.

I upgraded from 1.38.11 to 2.2.5, and then to 2.4.3, and I am sure I
did not have to make any configuration changes because of the Bacula
upgrade. I use both DLT and DAT drives and have an autochanger of each
drive type. I also use multiple pools, and more than one client OS.

So, unless you have something really complicated, I would not expect
you to have to make any configuration changes because of the upgrade.

What you *will* have to do, though, is upgrade your database for the
new version. The database format has changed, so you would do well to
make a manual copy of the database files before you start, just in case
you need to revert to the old version while you fix some problem with
the new version.

Allan