Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula dir work very slow with huge number of restore file

2009-01-23 04:48:21
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula dir work very slow with huge number of restore file
From: "Tomasz Gorny" <tgorn AT wp DOT pl>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:46:06 +0100
Hello All Bacula Users,

I found that Bacula is very slow when restore action is used for large
number of files to restore. This affect only director but is/can be a
problem.

I've to restore a backup with over 5'000'000 files inside. After mark
and done actions I've been waiting over 10 hours to follow next steps.
But I couldn't wait more. At least I've split this action for pieces to
complete this. I've take a conclusion that file set about 1'000'00 takes
about 3h to completion. Did you experienced this issue? How to
solve/work around of this? Is it a bug (Denial of service for 10> hours
waiting to dir will recalculate needed items)?

BR
Tomek

Hardware configuration:
2xXeon, 6GB Ram, 15K SCSI disks, OS: CentOS 5.
Bacula-dir : 2.4.2 i386 from rpm
[root@xxx~]# md5sum  bacula-postgresql-2.4.2-1.el5.i386.rpm
63d38670e01d0fbcbd60f737297283f5  bacula-postgresql-2.4.2-1.el5.i386.rpm