Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Manual Volume recycling and overwritten data

2009-01-13 10:51:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Manual Volume recycling and overwritten data
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:49:32 +0100
On Tuesday 13 January 2009 15:00:58 Eric Bollengier wrote:
> Hello Bastian,
>
> Le Tuesday 13 January 2009 14:27:49 Bastian Friedrich, vous avez écrit :
> > when manually recycling a (used) volume with
> > "update volume=xxx VolStatus=Recycle"
> > this volume will be accepted for overwriting. Nonetheless, Jobs that have
> > been written to that volume will NOT be removed from the catalog. This
> > results in invalid data, as the catalog will still contain data about
> > volume content that is no longer there.
>
> The update command doesn't recycle anything... Use the prune or purge
> command for that.
>
> > Would you regard that as a bug?
>
> I would say that we should remove the Recycle status from "update volume"
> command.

No, the purpose of the update command is to make an easy interface for experts
to correct problems at a low level so that users don't go poking around with
raw SQL. There are other update options that are even more dangerous, and the
solution in my opinion is to add more documentation to the manual.