Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] best config for removeable disk backup

2009-01-09 05:07:16
Subject: [Bacula-users] best config for removeable disk backup
From: Martin Schmid <scm AT apsag DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 10:48:31 +0100
Hello Everybody

I've set up a disk backup that replaces an autochanger. It is working
but I'm not sure if it's configuration is well done.

The main goals are:

- any person should be able to swap the drives
- the drives should contain a unique sticker that the person knows which
drive to insert when bacula asks for a volume

I've set up udev and autofs so that I can hot-swap the drives and that
the drive always get the same device file.

I've removed the file size restriction from the pool resource so that
there should be only one file created

The main problem I see is the fact that using autolabel there is a
chance that bacula creates a second volume on the drive which may be
requested later but is not visible on the sticker

A second issue could be that having such a big file of a few hundred GB
(I'm currently using 160GB disks) could be ineffective ...?

Is there a 'good' way to set this up? I mean, the very best way would be
if bacula could use /dev/mydrive directly like it uses a tape. Without
any file system on it.

Regards

Martin Schmid

--
Martin Schmid
APS systems AG, Neumatt 4, CH-4626 Niederbuchsiten