Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to handle long, time consuming backups

2008-12-31 05:13:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to handle long, time consuming backups
From: Massimo Schenone <mschenone AT sorint DOT it>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:10:23 +0100
Hi all,
I have the same question: how to backup a remote samba server with 60GB
of file system space?
I get an average throughput of 220Kb/s but the job always fails with
network error (Connection reset). In the middle there is a firewall and
I asked to people guys to raise tcp conn timeout..
Splitting the job into 5 subjobs doesn't help.. after 2 or 3 hours the
connection is broken..
After going through docs and forums I tried to add spooling and
concurrency, so that other jobs must not wait for the samba one to
complete.. no way! I can't see any concurrency at all
Here it is the config

Director {
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4
}

JobDefs {
  SpoolData = yes
}
---
Storage {
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
}

Device {
  Spool Directory = /data/spool;
  Maximum Spool Size = 40 GB ;
  Maximum Job Spool Size = 1 GB;
}

I get spooling but jobs don't run concurrently.. may because jobs use
different pool? I also run interactively 3 jobs associated to the same
pool..

spooling itself is a serial process: mount tape, write data to spool
until it reaches the max size, destage to tape, restart writing to
spool...
I started using 10gb max size but I always get broken pipe error
message, now with 1GB it's working (22 seconds to despool 45MB/s)

I want to solve the problem in bacula way, not rsyncing data between the
client and the server.. do you think setting up a file storage daemon on
the client and then migrate volume to main storage is reasonable?
Thanks a lot!
Massimo

In the middle there is a checkpoint firewall