Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Error running the console

2008-12-19 05:37:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Error running the console
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:34:59 +0100
Echnaton Birkmann schrieb:
> I installed bacula a few days ago, and haven't actually verified if its
> working fine.

Well, obviously it doesn't.

> Well, when I start the console and wait for a couple seconds,
> it gives me the following output:
>
> 18-Dez 13:32 BUS JobId 0: Fatal error: bsock.c:129 Unable to connect to
> Client: backup-fd on backup:9102. ERR=Connection refused

Your director cannot talk to the file daemon.

> 18-Dez 22:45 BUS JobId 17: Warning: bsock.c:123 Could not connect to Storage
> daemon on ares:9103. ERR=Connection refused

Nor to the storage daemon.

>   Termination:            *** Backup Error ***

So it's not really a surprise that the backup job didn't work.

> 18-Dez 23:15 BUS JobId 17: message.c:482 Mail prog: bsmtp: bsmtp.c:435 Fatal
> connect error to localhost: ERR=Connection refused

Sending notification mail didn't work either.

> 18-Dez 23:15 BUS JobId 18: BeforeJob: run command "/usr/bin/awk -f
> /etc/bacula/scripts/make_catalog_backup_awk -v cat1=<BUSCatalog>
> /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf"

That command line doesn't look right. The angle brackets around
"BUSCatalog" would be interpreted by the shell as file
redirections and overwrite your director configuration file.

> 18-Dez 23:15 BUS JobId 18: BeforeJob: awk:
> /etc/bacula/scripts/make_catalog_backup_awk:3:                ^ syntax error

Your AWK script is broken, too.

> Any help, or suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

I'm afraid your installation is thoroughly messed up.
"Connection refused" typically means the daemon in question isn't
even running. (Though there are other possible reasons.) That, as
well as the syntax errors in your configuration files and scripts,
seems to indicate you missed some crucial steps during installation.

My best recommendation would be to start over, closely following
the instructions and checking every step very carefully to make
sure you got it right. In particular, check whether you can
reach all the daemons and try a simple manual backup before
proceeding to create scheduled jobs and customized scripts.

If you need more help, please post essential information about
your environment, like machines and network topology involved,
operating system(s), Bacula version(s), how you installed and
configured it.

HTH
Tilman

--