Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] "Configurator"

2008-12-18 09:30:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] "Configurator"
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 06:23:14 -0800
configure is part of the build system; you would only use it if you plan
on compiling bacula from source code - generally not a good idea unless
you are a developer or need the latest features right away; if at all
possible, use a precompiled package from your distribution. Second-best
is to get a precompiled package from somewhere else.

When you download Linux source code, it almost always uses autoconfig to
build. In that case, you have to do several steps to compile:

make mrproper
./configure <your options here>
make
make install

rinse, lather repeat every time somebody comes out with an update.
That's why I said above: don't do it unless you absolutely have to.
Software maintenance can become a nightmare.

With precompiled packages, your distribution vendor will usually
automatically handle updating through rug, yast, zypp, apt-get, or
whatever mechanism they are using. The drawback is that you usually are
several versions behind.

Echnaton Birkmann wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> What is hat configure program that I keep reading about? Can I start
> this routine (the configure program) after I installed, and partially
> configured bacula? And if “yes”… how can I start it?
>
> Thanks a milli for the answers,
>
> Cheers!
>
> *Echnaton Birkmann*
>
> */I-/**/NEW/**/ /**/Communicative Solutions GmbH/*
>
> Am Anger
>
> I-New Building
>
> _A-7210 Mattersburg_
>
> Office: +43 2626 20720
>
> Mobile.: +43 676 42 24 962
>
> Fax: +43 2626 20720.1
>
> /online: //www.inew-cs.com <http://www.inew-cs.com>/

Kevin Keane
Owner
The NetTech
Turn your NetWORRY into a NetWORK!

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.