Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Random "Unable to authenticate" error

2008-12-16 16:29:18
Subject: [Bacula-users] Random "Unable to authenticate" error
From: J-P <jphml AT videotron DOT ca>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:35:43 -0500
Hi everyone,

I wonder if someone could help me find a solution. We are running Bacula for
a couple months and from time to time (at least 2 or 3 a week) we have
failed run with the following error message. Clients and occurrences are
random.

-- start of message --
15-Dec 23:26 xxxxx-dir: Start Backup JobId 2771,
Job=yyyyy_Backup.2008-12-15_23.05.30

15-Dec 23:29 xxxxx-dir: yyyyy_Backup.2008-12-15_23.05.30 Fatal error: Unable
to authenticate with File daemon on "x.x.x.x:9102". Possible causes:
Passwords or names not the same or
Maximum Concurrent Jobs exceeded on the FD or
FD networking messed up (restart daemon).
Please see http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/faq.html#AuthorizationErrors for
help.

15-Dec 23:29 xxxxx-dir: yyyyy_Backup.2008-12-15_23.05.30 Error: Bacula 2.0.3
(06Mar07): 15-Dec-2008 23:29:20
-- snip --

I took a look at the URL above and did a number of google searches, but I'm
unable to find a definitive solution. I'm sure it is not the password as it
works most of the time. I don't think it is the Max concurrent jobs either,
but maybe someone can confirm, here is our config about that:

-- Start config --
# The Bacula Director
Director {                            # define myself
  Name = xxxxx-dir
  DIRport = 9101                # where we listen for UA connections
  QueryFile = "/etc/bacula/scripts/query.sql"
  WorkingDirectory = "/var/lib/bacula"
  PidDirectory = "/var/run/bacula"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
  Password = "somepass"         # Console password
  Messages = Daemon
  DirAddress = x.x.x.x
}

Storage {                             # definition of myself
  Name = xxxxx-sd
  SDPort = 9103                  # Director's port
  WorkingDirectory = "/var/lib/bacula"
  Pid Directory = "/var/run/bacula"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
  SDAddress = x.x.x.x
  HeartbeatInterval = 30
}

Storage {
  Name = File
  # Do not use "localhost" here
  Address = somehost.example.com     # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "somepass"
  Device = FileStorage
  Media Type = File
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
}

Storage {
  Name = Tape
  # Do not use "localhost" here
  Address = somehost.example.com     # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "somepass"
  Device = IBM-ULTRIUM-TD3
  Media Type = LTO-3
  AutoChanger = yes
}

Client {
  Name = Client1
  Address = client1.example.com
  FDPort = 9102
  Catalog = MyCatalog
  Password = "somepass"           # password for FileDaemon
  File Retention = 30 days        # 30 days
  Job Retention = 6 months        # six months
  AutoPrune = yes                 # Prune expired Jobs/Files
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
}

NOTE: All clients are configured the same way

FileDaemon {                          # this is me
  Name = client1-fd
  FDport = 9102                  # where we listen for the director
  WorkingDirectory = /var/lib/bacula
  Pid Directory = /var/run/bacula
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
  FDAddress = x.x.x.x
}

NOTE: All File Daemon are configured the same way
-- End config --

Now, that only left the "FD networking messed up" as an option. So I can say
that we use monitoring for all our hosts and nothing is reported about
network failure. I can also tell that I don't need to restart the FD for the
next backup to be successful...

Here are other information you might be interested in:

OS: Ubuntu 7.10
Bacula version: 2.0.3

Your time and help is appreciated.

Thanks