Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] multi drive changer, limit concurrent jobs for each drive

2008-12-12 03:48:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] multi drive changer, limit concurrent jobs for each drive
From: Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists AT ralfgross DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:44:48 +0100
Alex Chekholko schrieb:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:22:55 +0100
> Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists AT ralfgross DOT de> wrote:
>
> > Alex Chekholko schrieb:

> > > Oh, I remember now, I added
> > >
> > >   prefer mounted volumes = no
> > >
> > > to my Job (or JobDefs).
> >
> > That would maybe work. But IIRC Kern does not encourage to use
> >
> > prefer mounted volumes = no
>
> It works for me, but you're claiming YMMV?
>
> I don't see any contra-indications to using that directive in the
> manual, if that's what you mean:
> http://bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION001430000000000000000
>
> "Setting Prefer Mounted Volumes to no can be useful for those sites
> with multiple drive autochangers that prefer to maximize backup
> throughput at the expense of using additional drives and Volumes."

See this thread:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.bacula.devel/11876/

quote kern:
| I am considering disabling the "Prefer Mounted Volumes = no"  because
| it is the feature that creates a tremendous amount of extra work in
| Bacula.  Rather than use that feature (which currently does not work
| or leads to failures), I recommend that to simultaneously write
| multiple volumes use multiple pools.

I still think it would be logical to be able to limit the number of
concurrent jobs per drive if an autochanger is used. If you use the
drives and not the changer, you can limit the number per drive.

Ralf