Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using a non-local MySQL/PostgreSQL database.

2008-12-10 15:44:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using a non-local MySQL/PostgreSQL database.
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:41:29 +0100
Hi,

10.12.2008 14:18, Javino wrote:
> Hi all, a simple question...
>
> It's possible to use a non-local mysql/pgsql database to store the
> catalog? I'm building the bacula from Source (2.4.3) in Debian Etch
> (2.6.24) and I want to use a dedicated database server in another machine.
>
> Thanks 4 all!

No problem at all. Just keep in mind that, to build Bacula, you need
the development packages of the database of your choice.

Then it's just a matter of setting the address and credentials in the
configuration right. For simplicity, you can create the catalog
database locally on the database machine. You might also decide to
restrict access to it more than the database's default.

You should be aware, though, that database throughput over a network
can be considerably slower than with a local database. You don't need
much local memory, disk space, and I/O performance, but the network
link could become a bottle neck.

Arno

> J.
>
> --
>
> Francisco Javier Funes Nieto [esencia AT gmail DOT com <mailto:esencia AT
> gmail DOT com>]
> CANONIG:OS
> Servicios Informáticos para PYMES.
> Cl. Cruz 2, 1º Oficina 7
> Tlf: 958.536759 / 661134556
> Fax: 958.521354
> GRANADA - 18002

> The future of the web can't happen without you.  Join us at MIX09 to help

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
Sandstr. 6, 49080 Osnabrück
www.its-lehmann.de