Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] volume management on a storage File

2008-12-09 01:45:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] volume management on a storage File
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Robert Du Gaue" <rdugaue AT calweb DOT com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 01:43:17 -0500
> Ah, so it doesn't just finish up with the file on the same volume, but will
> split the file up among multiple volumes? Didn't know that, guess it make
> sense as it supports tapes too. I just don't use tapes anymore with TB HDs
> are so cheap!

Depends on how many TB you need to backup and how long you need to
store your data. I have over 20TB on tape. I can not imagine swapping
around 20 hard drives and on top of that you really can not store a
hard drive for longer than a year or two and expect it to work when
you plug it back in a machine. With tapes you can store them 10 years
and be assured your data will still be readable.

John