Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple storage daemons on a job

2008-12-08 14:03:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple storage daemons on a job
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Michael Burke" <michael AT engtech DOT ca>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 14:01:59 -0500
On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Michael Burke <michael AT engtech DOT ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Versions:
> fd, sd for "Local File", and director:
> Version: 2.2.8 (26 January 2008) i486-pc-linux-gnu debian lenny/sid
> sd for "Offsite":
> Version: 2.2.5 (09 October 2007) i386-portbld-freebsd6.3 freebsd 6.3-RELEASE
>

> I've been scouring the documentation and trying to figure out if this is
> possible, or something like it.
>
> I have a job that backs up the root filesystem to a local hard drive, Storage
> = "Local File". This works perfectly.
>
> I would like it to ALSO simultaneously send the same job data to a second
> storage daemon, Storage = "Offsite", which is located offsite over a VPN. eg:
>
> Job {
>  Storage = "Local File"
>  Storage = "Offsite"
>  Pool = Local
> }

You can not do this.

> My only solution so far is to just create two identical jobs, with different
> Storage resources.  But, that would cause the same backup to run twice
> sequentially, which would make it take much longer and seems like an
> unnecessary waste of resources.  I was hoping there would be a better way.

It has to run 2 times (well until copy jobs is implemented). I believe
you can get away with 1 job though and specify the storage in the
schedule using job overrides.

http://bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION001450000000000000000

Or if you manually run jobs you can always modify the job before
executing and switch the storage.

John