Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem adding second storage daemon

2008-11-25 04:42:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem adding second storage daemon
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 10:39:49 +0100
Hello,

24.11.2008 15:35, Misty Stanley-Jones wrote:
> I have been using the same Bacula config for about three years now.
> Recently, due to a network change, it is not feasible for me to store one
> client's backup on the normal storage daemon, so I am trying to create a
> second storage daemon on said client's subnet.  I thought this would be
> extremely easy.  However, I am getting "Invalid catalog request" errors
> whenever I Try to use the new storage daemon for storage.  First the error,
> then my current config:
>
> Error:
>
> 24-Nov 09:07 furn-backup: Volume "furnsrv-0001" previously written, moving
> to end of data.
> 24-Nov 09:07 bork-dir: furnsrv.furn.backup.2008-11-24_09.07.39 Fatal error:
> catreq.c:331 Invalid Catalog request: CatReq
> Job=furnsrv.furn.backup.2008-11-24_09.07.39 UpdateMedia VolName=furnsrv-0001
> VolJobs=0 VolFiles=0 VolBlocks=0 VolBytes=0 VolMounts=1 VolErrors=0
> VolWrites=0 MaxVolBytes=0 EndTime=1227535630 VolStatus=Append Slot=0
> relabel=0 InChanger=0 VolReadTime=0 VolWriteTime=0 VolParts=0
> 24-Nov 09:07 furn-backup: furnsrv.furn.backup.2008-11-24_09.07.39 Fatal
> error: Error getting Volume info: 1990 Invalid Catalog Request: CatReq
> Job=furnsrv.furn.backup.2008-11-24_09.07.39 UpdateMedia VolName=furnsrv-0001
> VolJobs=0 VolFiles=0 VolBlocks=0 VolBytes=0 VolMounts=1 VolErrors=0
> VolWrites=0 MaxVolBytes=0 EndTime=1227535630 VolStatus=Append Slot=0
> relabel=0 InChanger=0 VolReadTime=0 VolWriteTime=0 VolParts=0
> 24-Nov 09:07 furnsrv.furn: furnsrv.furn.backup.2008-11-24_09.07.39 Fatal
> error: job.c:1617 Bad response to Append Data command. Wanted 3000 OK data
> , got 3903 Error append data
>
> (The error occurs whenever I try to use the SD for a job's "storage"
> regardless of the job.  So I know the error is something to do with the SD,
> and not really a catalog problem)

Well, the error message only tells us a bout a catalog problem.
Obviously, this only happens when you use the new SD. The SD itself
seems to work fine so far as it actually tries to send info to he DIR
for catalog updates.

I suspect you've got a version mismatch there - which version of the
DIR do you run, and which versions are the SDs? Also, the identical
Media Types will get you into trouble. Perhaps that's already this
problem, but when doing restores, you'll probably run into others. So
I suggest to change the Media Type for the new SD to something like
"File2" and delete the existing volumes on that storage device.

Also, try to see the new SD is ok: Start with 'sta sd=File2'. If you
did the above, and the programs are the same version, and the status
command returns correct info, run a job on the new SD with debug
tracing enabled and see if that tells you (or us) something more.

Arno

> So here are my storage definitions from bacula-dir.conf:
>
> # This one works
> Storage {
>   Name = File
>   Address = 192.168.1.1
>   SDPort = 9103
>   Password = "****"
>   Device = backup
>   Media Type = File
>   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
> }
>
> # This one does NOT work
> Storage {
>   Name = File2
>   Address = 192.168.2.1
>   SDPort = 9103
>   Password = "**** "
>   Device = backup2
>   Media Type = File
>   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
> }
>
> Here is bacula-sd.conf Device clause for the SD that DOES work:
>
> Device {
>   Name = backup
>   Media Type = File
>   Archive Device = /data/backup
>   LabelMedia = Yes;
>   Random Access = Yes;
>   AutomaticMount = yes;
>   RemovableMedia = no;
>   AlwaysOpen = yes;
>   Requires Mount = no;
>   }
>
> Here is the bacula-sd.conf Device clause for the SD that does NOT work:
>
> Device {
>   Name = backup2
>   Media Type = File
>   Archive Device = /backup
>   LabelMedia = Yes;
>   Random Access = Yes;
>   AutomaticMount = yes;
>   RemovableMedia = no;
>   AlwaysOpen = yes;
>   Requires Mount = no;
>   }
>
> I have checked permissions for the mount point.  When I run a job, the
> volume actually gets written, but has a very small length.
>
> I don't understand what I am doing wrong, but I have missed several days of
> backups due to this, and I really need to get it resolved.  Any help is
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Misty

Arno Lehmann