Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Occasional read error when labelling tapes in autochanger (Bacula 2.4.3 on SLES 10.1)

2008-11-21 06:06:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Occasional read error when labelling tapes in autochanger (Bacula 2.4.3 on SLES 10.1)
From: James Cort <james.cort AT u4eatech DOT com>
To: smulcahy AT aplpi DOT com
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:03:39 +0000
smulcahy AT aplpi DOT com wrote:

> block.c:999 Read error on fd=5 at file:blk 0:0 on device "LTO-4"
> (/dev/nst0). ERR=Input/output error.
> 3000 OK label. VolBytes=64512 DVD=0 Volume="weekly005" Device="LTO-4"
> (/dev/nst0)
> Catalog record for Volume "weekly005", Slot 11  successfully created.
> Requesting to mount LTO-4 ...
> 3001 Device "LTO-4" (/dev/nst0) is mounted with Volume "weekly005"
>

> Note the "Read error" near the bottom. The label operation seems to
> complete without problems (the tapes are correctly labelled) and
> subsequent backups work fine. But should I be concerned about this
> message or can I safely ignore it?

IIRC it's caused by Bacula trying to read the tape to see if it's
already labelled prior to writing its own label.  Obviously if the tape
is new, there won't be anything on there.

I've seen the exact same thing across two tape drives (and indeed types
of tape media) for the last couple of years - it can safely be ignored.

--
James Cort

IT Manager
U4EA Technologies Ltd.