Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Some (benign?) errors running btape tests

2008-11-20 03:53:41
Subject: [Bacula-users] Some (benign?) errors running btape tests
From: "Joshua J. Kugler" <joshua AT eeinternet DOT com>
To: "bacula-users" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:48:59 -0900
I'm working on setting up Bacula on an IBM Ultrium-HH4 (a google search
which returns NO results for bacula), bare drive, no changer, and was
running the btape tests.  I got some errors, but I don't think they're
serious.

The first one I think is because I manually set the block size to 128K,
per some LTO4 discussion that I read.  I may play with other block
sizes to see if I can speed up the drive.  Anyway, on the Append test,
I got this:

btape: btape.c:1577 Wrote one record of 130972 bytes.
btape: btape.c:1579 Wrote block to device.
btape: btape.c:505 Wrote 1 EOF to "LTO4DRIVE" (/dev/st0)
btape: btape.c:475 Rewound "LTO4DRIVE" (/dev/st0)
Done appending, there should be no I/O errors

Doing Bacula scan of blocks:
1 block of 131008 bytes in file 1
End of File mark.
2 blocks of 131008 bytes in file 2
End of File mark.
3 blocks of 131008 bytes in file 3
End of File mark.
1 block of 131008 bytes in file 4
End of File mark.
Total files=4, blocks=7, bytes = 917,056
End scanning the tape.
We should be in file 4. I am at file 4. This is correct!

The above Bacula scan should have output identical to what follows.
Please double check it ...
=== Sample correct output ===
1 block of 64448 bytes in file 1
End of File mark.
2 blocks of 64448 bytes in file 2
End of File mark.
3 blocks of 64448 bytes in file 3
End of File mark.
1 block of 64448 bytes in file 4
End of File mark.
Total files=4, blocks=7, bytes = 451,136
=== End sample correct output ===

All the file counts are correct, just the byte counts are, due to the
block size.  I assume I can count the output as "identical" for all
intents and purposes?

Second error:

Do you want to run the simplified test (s) with one tape
or the complete multiple tape (m) test: (s/m) s
Simple test (single tape) selected.
Mount blank Volume on device "LTO4DRIVE" (/dev/st0) and press return
when ready:
19-Nov 22:20 btape: Fatal Error at dev.c:1663 because:
dev.c:1662 Attempt to WEOF on non-appendable Volume
Wrote Volume label for volume "TestVolume1".
Wrote Start of Session label.
22:20:50 Begin writing Bacula records to tape ...

And it went on to successful completion of the test.  Was it
non-appendable because it didn't have a Volume Label yet?  Is there
something else I should be looking for?

Third "error:"

*unfill
20-Nov 02:10 btape JobId 0: Ready to read from volume "TestVolume1" on
device "LTO4DRIVE" (/dev/st0).
Rewinding.
Reading the first 10000 records from 0:0.
10000 records read now at 1:2502
Reposition from 1:2502 to 1003:2752
Reading block 2752.

The last block on the tape matches. Test succeeded.

20-Nov 02:10 btape: Fatal Error because: Bacula interrupted by signal
11: Segmentation violation
Kaboom! btape, btape got signal 11 - Segmentation violation. Attempting
traceback.

The traceback hung and hung, and I finally had to kill -9 btape, and I
got no output.  The "unfill" worked, but the btape segfaulted for some
reason.  I guess the data on the tape is OK?

This is with Bacula 2.4.2 and the SourceForge EL5 RPM's on CentOS 5.2.

Any ideas?

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com