Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to run bacula dir and sd as non-root?

2008-11-18 22:51:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to run bacula dir and sd as non-root?
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 22:49:35 -0500
On Nov 18, 2008, at 12:37 PM, John Drescher wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Kevin Keane
> <subscription AT kkeane DOT com> wrote:
>> In the documentation, I saw the tip to run the director and the SD
>> as a
>> non-root user (
>> http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Bacula_Security_Issues.html#SECTION004630000000000000000
>> ) I like that idea very much.
>>
>> But I can't quite figure out how to actually do it, because I can't
>> figure out how to tell bacula-dir and bacula-sd to become user
>> "bacula"
>> instead of continuing to run as root. What am I missing?
>>

> You need to edit your startup scripts. This tends to be distribution
> specific so you might want to ask your distro. Or at minimum tell us
> what distro you are using.

Further to that, I feel that any packaging which runs DIr and SD as
root is broken.

See
http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Brief_Tutorial.html#SECTION0012140000000000000000

That should have the options.  It does not.

But here's a start:

$ bacula-dir -?
Copyright (C) 2000-2008 Free Software Foundation Europe e.V.

Version: 2.4.3 (10 October 2008)

Usage: dird [-f -s] [-c config_file] [-d debug_level] [config_file]
        -c <file>   set configuration file to file
        -dnn        set debug level to nn
        -f          run in foreground (for debugging)
        -g          groupid
        -r <job>    run <job> now
        -s          no signals
        -t          test - read configuration and exit
        -u          userid
        -v          verbose user messages
        -?          print this message.

--