Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] SD on Ethernet Disk

2008-11-14 04:24:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] SD on Ethernet Disk
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:20:08 +0100
Hello,

I believe this should have been sent to the -users list, so I'm
replying there.

14.11.2008 00:26, subbustrato wrote:
> Arno Lehmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 12.11.2008 23:06, subbustrato wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible set as storage demon an Ethernet Disk?
>>>

>> I assume that by "Ethernet disk" you mean a NAS device.
>>
>> Yes, it is possible if the device actually runs a SD.
>>
>> Yes, it is possible to use a NAS device as final destination for
>> Baculas volumes.
>>
>> No, it is not possible to simply refer to the NAS device as a storage
>> device in the Director configuration if there is *no* SD running on it.
>>
>> No, it is not possible to use a NAS device if you can't mount it to
>> the machine the SD runs on.
>>
>> Select whichever answer fits to your environment :-)
>>
>> Arno
>>

>>> bye,
>>> sub
>>>

> Hi,
> yes sorry, for Ethernet disk I mean a NAS device...

Ok.

> I think that on the NAS that I'll buy there is Windows embedded, is it
> possible install SD side on this OS?

IF the device in question allows that. Sorry I can't say more - but as
long as it's not in the devices manual and you tell us which one you
intend to use nobody can know that.

I believe, though, that Windows embedded usually comes without full
access, i.e. you can only do what the device manufacturer allows you
to do. Typically, installing own software is not one of your options.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann