Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula and MySQL license

2008-11-07 13:55:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula and MySQL license
From: Rich <rich AT hq.vsaa DOT lv>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 19:08:18 +0200
On 2008.11.07. 18:39, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org> wrote:
>> On Nov 7, 2008, at 8:57 AM, LeJav wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am preparing a NFS server (Linux) which is a part of a global
>>> project for a customer.
>>> This NFS server will be backuped with bacula; I use MySQL for the
>>> database.
>>> Could someone explain me if I am right with MySQL licencing ?
>>> MySQL is only used for the bacula data.
>>> My global project is not GPL; but my NFS Server and bacula are GPL.
>>> Can I install bacula and MySQL on this server with respect to GPL
>>> licencing ?
>>
>> I cannot imagine any circumstances under which this would not be
>> allowed.
>
> Yes, there are: say that the project is a "propiertary" backup
> solution, and that the company wants to use bacula and/or mysql code
> for their non-gpl backup solution: they can't do that.

please, please, don't do this.
they can change the code until nobody can recognise it or whatever. they
can molest, abuse, ridicule that code. as long as it stays inhouse, it's
their choice.
now, if they modify and distribute the modified code... yes, now gpl
kicks in and requires publishing changes (actually, that's not true
either, they have to provide source to the receivers of the modifications).

--
  Rich