Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Catalog Volume still grows to very large filesize

2008-11-05 10:55:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Catalog Volume still grows to very large filesize
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: campbell AT cnpapers DOT com
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:53:11 -0500
On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Steve Campbell <campbell AT cnpapers DOT com>
wrote:
> I had asked about this ages ago, and thought I had it solved, but
> apparently not.
>
> I use the standard CatalogBackup job that ships with Bacula (old version
> 2.03), and the size of the Volume that thiis job uses grows to 2GB+. I
> have reduced the Default Pool Volume Retention to 4 months, but it
> doesn't seem to want to switch and start using another volume. I'm
> pretty certain that all my other jobs have retentions less than 4 months.
>
> All of the other "standard" daily jobs seem to do just fine and rotate
> volumes as defined, but the Catalog volume just doesn't seem to behave.
> Can anyone make  suggestions  as to why this might happen? Is it perhaps
> tied to other volume retention settings?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Steve Campbell

Remember a volume must be Full or Used to begin the volume retention
period. Before that it
will be appendable and teh retention settings will not make any difference.

http://bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Basic_Volume_Management.html#SECTION002611000000000000000

UseVolumeOnce = yes.
Maximum Volume Jobs = nnn.
Maximum Volume Bytes = mmmm.
Volume Use Duration = ttt.

Use any of the above for voulme recycling to work. After a volume is
marked Full or Used the
retention period will count from the last byte written to the volume.

John