Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: 1TB raid5 performance

2008-11-04 21:34:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: 1TB raid5 performance
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sf DOT net
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 21:31:37 -0500
On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Jeff Kalchik <jkalchik AT frontiernet DOT net>
wrote:
>>> I'm talking about opening a terminal on local /home with few folders
>>> which have few hounded gb in them.
>>> I'm not connection to anything at that point. I'm talking about
>>> opening a nautilus browser and that takes 2 seconds.
>>> Not sure what ldap, windbind or nscd have to do with file system
>>> access time? The file system is a local and is accessed on a local
>>> machine.
>>>
>> They are about network user accounts and security. And if there are
>> problems with these long delays can occur. I assume you are not using
>> any of these.
>
> FWIW, I have a system here at home (openSuSE 11.0, Ultra160 disk shelf, 5
> 180gb disks in a RAID5 LUN under mdadm control.)  I don't see that sort of
> delay anywhere in the filesystems on that LUN.

I do not have this delay on any of my dozen so software raid 5 and
raid 6 ide and sata arrays that I have setup. At work most of these
are used mostly as samba servers with the linux machines that do not
have X windows installed. Here at home I am typing from a 3 disk sata
raid 5 array that does have X windows installed and I do not see that
either yet I rarely use nautlis or any other gui file manager at home.
I find it much easier to just type cp or mv or rm or ls.

John