Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] problem with incrementals, differentials and volume retention

2008-11-03 22:20:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] problem with incrementals, differentials and volume retention
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: jpg1792 <jpg1792 AT gmail DOT com>, "Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 22:18:05 -0500
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 9:58 PM, jpg1792 <jpg1792 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've set bacula up using Josh Fisher's vchanger script.  That all
> seems to be working fine.  So I set up a backup schedule using the
> default WeeklyCycle schedule, and I set the pools up as follows:
>
> Pool {
>        Name = AllIncrementals
>        Label Format = "Incrementals"
>        Pool Type = Backup
>        Recycle = yes
>        AutoPrune = yes
>        Volume Retention = 7 days
> }
>
> Pool {
>        Name = AllDifferentials
>        Label Format = "Differentials"
>        Pool Type = Backup
>        Recycle = yes
>        AutoPrune = yes
>        Volume Retention = 1 week
> }
>
> Pool {
>        Name = AllFull
>        Label Format = "AllFull"
>        Pool Type = Backup
>        Recycle = yes
>        AutoPrune = yes
>        Volume Retention = 2 months
> }
>
> This seems to be working as I don't see all the Incrementals and
> Differentials for the month listed when I ran the bconsole `list
> pools` command.  I put in a new disk after the last full backup, and
> it ran for most of the schedule doing the incrementals and the
> differentials but the problem now is when it was trying to do a full
> backup it errors out saying that the hard drive is full.  The total
> backup data is less than half the size of the hard drive, so it seems
> it's not reusing the old volumes that were created and then expired.
> Is there something I'm missing in the pool configuration?

You probably need max volume size as I do not see you limiting the
volumes so the recycle period does not apply. Remember a volume must
be Full or Used to begin the volume retention period. Before that it
will be appendable.

http://bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Basic_Volume_Management.html#SECTION002611000000000000000

John