Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] No tar for my tape drive!?!? SAS tape library help...

2008-10-31 16:00:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] No tar for my tape drive!?!? SAS tape library help...
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 20:57:58 +0100
Hi,

31.10.2008 20:21, Michael Kahle wrote:
>> What does `mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompression` say?
>
>> mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompression
> mt: unknown command "datcompression"
> usage: mt [-v] [--version] [-h] [ -f device ] command [ count ]
> commands: weof, wset, eof, fsf, fsfm, bsf, bsfm, fsr, bsr, fss, bss, rewind,
>           offline, rewoffl, eject, retension, eod, seod, seek, tell, status,
>           erase, setblk, lock, unlock, load, compression, setdensity,
>           drvbuffer, stwrthreshold, stoptions, stsetoptions, stclearoptions,
>           defblksize, defdensity, defdrvbuffer, defcompression, stsetcln,
>           sttimeout, stlongtimeout, densities, setpartition, mkpartition,
>           partseek, asf, stshowopt.
>
> So I tried:
>> mt -f /dev/nst0 compression
> /dev/nst0: Input/output error
>
> And tried:
>> mt -f /dev/nst0 defcompression
>
> No output there.  Here are the messages after I ran those two commands:
>> dmesg | tail
> st0: Sense Key : Aborted Command [current]
> st0: Add. Sense: Initiator response timeout
> st0: Sense Key : Aborted Command [current]
> st0: Add. Sense: Initiator response timeout

This looks bad... usually, you shouldn't see this sort of things...
timeouts typically indicate something is seriously going wron on the
SCSI bus (or, in your case, the SAS links. Might be a drive
misconfiguration.

Have you tried if IBM has a dedicated driver for their SAS tapes? I
know there is IBMtape available and IBM recommends it for their SCSI
tapes (admittedly, the default linux tape drivers seem to work fine,
too) so it might be worth trying IBMtape.

Arno

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
Sandstr. 6, 49080 Osnabrück