Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] recycling of volumes doesnt work

2008-10-29 18:43:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] recycling of volumes doesnt work
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 23:40:43 +0100
Hi,

29.10.2008 23:27, lists wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have tapes i want to use one per day, after one week bacula should
> recycle the volume and start over again, but if i reach a volume a
> second time it doesnt get recycled it keeps saying waiting for an
> appendable volume.
>
> here is one of my pool configs:
>
> Pool {
>   Name = Monday
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   Recycle = yes
>   Auto Prune = yes
>   Volume Retention = 1 week

Shorten this retention time - it starts after the volume was last
written, so you need to subtract the time the backup runs plus some
extra time for longer runtime than expected. Usually, I'd suggest six
and a half days for a weekly rotation.

>   Maximum Volume Jobs = 7

That can break things if you add jobs or a job doesn't run.

>   RecyclePool = Monday
>   Storage = Tape
>   Recycle Current Volume = yes
>   Volume Use Duration = 1 day

This setting should be sufficient.

> }
>
> do you guys maybe have some tips for me? i don't get the point what to
> config to have recycling working well.

... and don't forget to update your existing volumes to the modified
pool settings!

Arno

> cheers

Arno Lehmann