Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula colone tapes in one job

2008-10-04 16:21:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula colone tapes in one job
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 09:01:15 +0200
Hi,

30.09.2008 12:34, tomwest AT poczta DOT fm wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have problem with setting up cloning in bacula.
>
> I have tried to clone with RUN command defined.
>
> Job {
>   Name = "ls90v11-archivexp"
>   Type = Backup
>   Level = Full
>   Client = ls90v11-fdexp
>   FileSet = "ls90v11archivexpFS"
>   Storage = VTS-Robot
>   Messages = Standard
>   Pool = VTS1ARCH
>   Priority = 10
>   Write Bootstrap = "/var/bacula/working/ls90v11archivexp.bsr"
>   Run = "ls90v11-archivexp level=%l since=\"%s\" Storage=VTS-Robot2
> Pool=VTS2ARCH"
> }
>

> I have defined 2 drives and 2 pools in one job, it works , first job goes to
> Pool VTS2ARCH and second job to Pool VTS1ARCH.
>
> But its is not what I would like to achive. It generates 2 jobs , but
> sometimes I don't get exacly the same copies. If any file was added to backup
> directories before second job managed to run the file will be included in
> that copy. And here is problem.
>
> I need exacly the same tape volumes copies in both Pools.

Well, that's not something that can be done with the run= directive in
jobs. And it's also documented in the manual IIRC.

> So I would like to run job and after writing one tape it will be copied
> stright away on second Pool, then job will take second tape, write it and
> copy to second pool etc.
>
> IS there any way to set up Bacula to work this way?

Well, kind of...

First, be aware that copy jobs or copy pools will be implemented some
time in Bacula, but are not yet.

You can use migration to achieve what you want, though that has some
issues resulting from the fact that a migration jobs remove
information from the original fob from the catalog.

With some tweaks, at least one user managed to restore from a job that
was officially migrated to another pool. That's not supported, nor
would I advise to do that.

The supported way to get job copies is to wait until that's
implemented in Bacula. No estimate when this will be available or
stable, though...

(Of course, if you can help that project with development efforts or
by sponsoring some developer to implement it you can help getting it
implemented...)

If you used disk volumes, things would be a bit easier... Tapes can be
copied using dd and mt (a bit of thought required) or by using bcopy
(not as carefully tested as the core of Bacula), but the catalog won't
know about this sort of copies.

Now the sort answer to your question: No.

But at least now you know more about the different possibilities :-)

Arno

> Best Regards,
>
> Tomasz

Arno Lehmann