Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] eject DLT

2008-09-30 04:58:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] eject DLT
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:54:31 +0200
On 29.09.2008 11:35, /me wrote:
On 28.09.2008 05:45, James Harper wrote:
[...]
The script that is executed is this ('scuse the line wrapping):

"
#!/bin/sh
echo "unmount storage=bitvs2-tape-sd" | /usr/bin/bconsole -c
/etc/bacula/bconsole.conf
/bin/mt -f /dev/nst0 eject 2>/dev/null >/dev/null
echo "mount storage=bitvs2-tape-sd" | /usr/bin/bconsole -c
/etc/bacula/bconsole.conf
"

I think I put the 'mount' command in so that Bacula knows that the tape
drive is ready for use again. Otherwise it remained unmounted and bacula
wouldn't touch it.

Interesting idea. I always assumed the "mount" command only made sense
after loading the next tape, because if I issued it with the drive still
empty it would complain thusly:

3901 open device failed: ERR=dev.c:433 Unable to open device "LTO1"
(/dev/nst0): ERR=No medium found

Time for a little experiment, I guess.

Worked great. After the "mount" command on the empty drive, Bacula did
detect and write to a tape I inserted later without issuing another
"mount" command.

This recipe would make a great addition to the Wiki IMO.

Thanks,
Tilman

--
Tilman Schmidt