Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Confused about volumes, pools, etc

2008-09-29 19:30:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Confused about volumes, pools, etc
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Arch Willingham" <arch AT tuparks DOT com>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 19:27:29 -0400
On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Arch Willingham <arch AT tuparks DOT com>
wrote:
> I have read and re-read the manual and still am still confused about how to
> set them up correctly. I ma been able to make it work but I know I have not
> done it the most efficient way. Here is my situation:
>

> I am backing up four windows boxes to the disk on the Bacula machine.
> Every Saturday, I want to have Bacula do a full backup.
> Every day other than Saturday, I'd like it to do an incremental backup.

This is just basic scheduling
http://bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION001450000000000000000.

> Ideally, on week #3, I'd like to have it erase the backup from week #1,
> ditto with week #4 erasing week #2 (etc).

You want to setup automatic recycling.

http://bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html

In order for this to work a volume has to be marked Full or Used and
then a the retention period begins. After the retention period expires
the volume is available when the next volume is needed.

John