Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Files/Directories missing from backup

2008-09-18 01:43:35
Subject: [Bacula-users] Files/Directories missing from backup
From: "Ken Barclay" <ken.barclay AT qbmore DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:41:56 +0700 (ICT)

On one of my servers there’s a directory called /share ,  inside /share there are departmental folders such as Marketing, Finance, IT, etc. and within those directories there are multiple directories and files.   The contents of these directories change on a daily basis, so will therefore be included in each nights back up.

/share is included in the FileSet, and in the last Full backup on 22 August, the entire contents of /share was backed up (as expected).

This morning I was asked to restore a single file from 10 September located within the /share directory, and guess what – there is no /share at all!  The other directories (/var, /etc, ....) are there but no /share.

I then checked every Differential and Incremental backup since 22 August and sure enough there is no /share directory.  Strange!

Next, I had a look at the backups for 20 & 21 August (both Incremental) and would you believe it, /share and its contents were backed up just fine.   On August 22 there was a Full backup – everything backed up fine, but since then /share hasn’t been backing up.

Each nights back up Message has been Backup OK,  and there has been nothing like “/share is a different filesystem.  Will not descend ..etc.”

I just did an ‘estimate job’ in bconsole and the number of files and bytes equates roughly to what was backed up in the last Full on 22 August.

Does anyone have any clues about this one?

Cheers,

Ken