Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent backup and restore

2008-09-08 14:28:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent backup and restore
From: Sebastian Lehmann <slehmann AT proficom-ag DOT de>
To: Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:27:54 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

Am Mo 08.09.2008 15:54 schrieb Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>:

> On Monday 08 September 2008 16:47:19 Christoph Litauer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is it possible to backup and restore data in parallel when using
> > File
> > devices?
> >
> > My problems is, that some of my backups take big amounts of time (3
> > days
> > because of a slow network connection). Starting a restore in
> > parallel
> > leads to "RestoreFiles.2008-09-08_15.38.44 is waiting on Storage
> > Files".
> > My setup is to allow concurrent backups to File device which works
> > like
> > a charm during backup.
> >
> > Output of status storage is:
> >
> > --------------
> > Running Jobs:
> > Writing: Full Backup job sun2 JobId=20148 Volume="File-0571"
> >      pool="Default" device="FileStorage" (/storage)
> >      spooling=1 despooling=0 despool_wait=0
> >      Files=73,342 Bytes=1,239,082,954 Bytes/sec=1,832,962
> >      FDReadSeqNo=639,961 in_msg=451631 out_msg=5 fd=6
> > Writing: Full Restore job RestoreFiles JobId=20150 Volume=""
> >      pool="Default" device="FileStorage" (/storage)
> >      spooling=0 despooling=0 despool_wait=0
> >      Files=0 Bytes=0 Bytes/sec=0
> >      FDSocket closed
> > ====
> >
> > Jobs waiting to reserve a drive:
> > 3602 JobId=20150 device "FileStorage" (/storage) is busy (already
> > reading/writing).
> > --------------
> >

> > It seems as the RestoreFiles job is waiting for _writing_ instead of
> > _reading_?
> >
> > Did I miss anything? Thanks a lot in advance!
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Christoph
>
> Hello.
>
> To my mind the limitation was that devices cannot have concurrent
> connections.
> So yeah.. backup- and restore jobs have to share that 1 possible
> connection.

We made it with a trick. We use a file auto changer, (virtual
autochanger). We then have two devices and several virtual tapes. Now it
is possible to backup and restore at the same time from a file-device.
Only one restriction is, that you can not use the same virtual tape for
backup and restore at the same time.

Maybe this will help you.

Sebastian