Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula limits

2008-08-29 10:49:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula limits
From: Eric Bollengier <eric AT eb.homelinux DOT org>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:48:55 +0200
Le Friday 29 August 2008 15:50:49 Dan Langille, vous avez écrit :
> Some additional thoughts on the patch:
>
> Dan Langille wrote:
> > ebollengier wrote:
> >>>
> >  > Hello,
> >  >
> >  > By default, the database is configured to handle 4 billion entries in
> >  > the file table, and
> >  > with 70million files per job, this limit will come quite fast.
> >
> > Do you have a reference for this 4 billion limit?
> >
> > I suspect you are referring to the data types used for the file.fileid
> > column.  In PostgreSQL, this is an integer value.
> >
> > 4 bytes
> > -2147483648 to +2147483647
>
> I think it's more like 2 billion files.

AUTOINCREMENT and serial fields can't loop, so after backuping 2 billion files
we can assume that it will fail somewhere.

> > With 8 bytes we can get (commas added by me)
> > -9223372036854775808 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807
> >
> > See
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/datatype-numeric.html#DATA
> >TYPE-INT
> >
> > In MySQL, the limits are the same.
> >
> >  > I suggest you to apply the trunk/patches/testing/fileid64.patch patch
> >  > to your installation, and to upgrade the FileId field of your catalog
> >  > (see update_mysql_catalog shell).
> >
> > Looking at that patch, I think other tables need to change as well:
> >
> >    basefiles.fileid
>
> This assumes we have more than 2 billion unique file names (including
> path).

I'm not sure of what you mean, my patch allow to backup more than 2 billion
files per catalog (over thousand/million jobs) with a limit of 2 billion
different path and 2 billion different filename.

> It may be harder to reach 2 billion unique file names (without path).
> If we want do cater for that, we also have to change"
>
> filename.filenameid
> path.filenameid
> unsavedfiles.filenameid

Maybe we can change from signed to unsigned, and we will have 4 billion
different filename and path per catalog...

It will work on postgresql, but i've to lookup for mysql. (sequences are on 8
bytes)

> And possibly some data types within Bacula.
>

> Re: http://www.bacula.org/en/developers/Catalog_Services.html

Yes, i've talk about that with kern, and we are agree that it's very important
to upgrade FileId soon as possible. FilenameId and PathId are much harder to
overflow and can wait a bit.

Bye