Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 2.2.8 inserting attributes taking a long time

2008-08-29 09:02:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 2.2.8 inserting attributes taking a long time
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:02:04 -0400
Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:32 PM, Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
> wrote:
>> Michael Galloway wrote:
>>
>> side issue: I hope your database is SQL_ASCII, not UTF-8.
>
> Ok, you got my attention on this, and I'm falling asleep right now....
> why? (if this question's answer is obvious, just ignore it, as I told
> you, I'm falling asleep).

 From
http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/catalog/catalog/Installi_Configur_PostgreS.html

"This script creates the PostgreSQL bacula database. Before running this
command, you should carefully think about what encoding sequence you
want for the text fields (paths, files, ...). Ideally, the encoding
should be set to UTF8. However, many Unix systems have filenames that
are not encoded in UTF8, either because you have not set UTF8 as your
default character set or because you have imported files from elsewhere
(e.g. MacOS X). For this reason, Bacula uses SQL_ASCII as the default
encoding. If you want to change this, please modify the script before
running it, but be forewarned that Bacula backups will fail if
PostgreSQL finds any non-UTF8 sequences."

--
Dan Langille