Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Feature request: diff files

2008-08-25 11:50:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Feature request: diff files
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Mikel Jimenez" <mikel AT irontec DOT com>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:50:07 -0400
On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Mikel Jimenez <mikel AT irontec DOT com>
wrote:
> I would be good idea implement diff with text files in bacula.
>
> For example for backup mysql dumps (plani text) in incremental backups
> only copies the lines what cahnges, not entire files.
>
> like rdiff backup

Please read this:

http://bacula.org/en/?page=feature-request

and I would not limit this to text files. I mean binary files can do
diffs as well. However as discussed before this is not as easy to
implement as you would think. One big problem is what happens if the
previous file is on a different bacula volume? And yes this has been
discussed on either the developer list or this list just a few weeks
ago. After this is solved the next hard part is finding someone who
would code this. The developers already have more than enough work at
the moment.

John