Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] file changes md5

2008-08-23 22:04:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] file changes md5
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Mikel Jimenez <mikel AT irontec DOT com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 22:04:08 -0400
Mikel Jimenez wrote:
> Dan Langille escribió:
>> Mikel Jimenez wrote:
>>> Hello
>>> How bacula knows if a file is have to backup in Incremental backups?
>> mtime
>>
>>> Because the md5sum of the file?
>> no
>>
>>> What happend if aI have /etc/file1 and /etc/dir/file1?
>>>
>>> The md5 signature that is in the database is different for each file?
>>> How can I do verify this?
>>>
>>> I ask these questions because I am making backup of a Debian Plesk
>>> server.
>>>
>>> Plesk makes Daily backups, but some files do not change, they are
>>> replaced by the same.
>>> But when I run an incremental backup, Bacula makes backup of these
>>> files another time, and their md5 signature are the same today and
>>> yesterday (some  files only of course).
>>>
>>> These files have the same name but they are in different locations
>>> (file1 example).
>>> /etc/file1 and /etc/dir/file1 has different md5sum
>>
>> I think my notes answer all your questions.
> mtime is modification time?

Yes.  From http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html

The File daemon (Client) decides which files to backup for an
Incremental backup by comparing start time of the prior Job (Full,
Differential, or Incremental) against the time each file was last
"modified" (st_mtime) and the time its attributes were last
"changed"(st_ctime). If the file was modified or its attributes changed
on or after this start time, it will then be backed up.