Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula text diff

2008-08-20 13:43:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula text diff
From: Landon Fuller <landonf AT bikemonkey DOT org>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:40:36 -0700

On Aug 18, 2008, at 8:15 AM, John Drescher wrote:

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org> wrote:
John Drescher wrote:

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 10:44 AM, mikel <mikel AT irontec DOT com> wrote:

And is not scheduled for future versions?

Not in the near future. I did not see it on the projects list at
bacula.org. I am not sure if there is a more current feature request
list in a different location though.

In short, all features not yet implemented have not been implemented because
nobody is interested enough to code it.

Features which are interesting to the coder get coded first.  :)

When I think of that, this would be very hard to implement with
removable media. How would bacula generate a diff if the original
media was not currently loaded in the tape drive and you do not have
more than 1 tape drive of the same type. This would should not be a
problem with disk volumes though.

You would need to store block checksums in the catalog. The loss of granularity would result in less efficient block differential backups, but you would still see a benefit.

Regarding Dan's point on interest, it's a problem I'm fairly interested in solving, but I've already got a full plate of hobby projects =)

I did start work on a C Amazon S3 library some time back, with the idea that remote storage + storage daemon encryption + block differential backups would be *really cool*:
        http://code.google.com/p/s3lib/

-landonf