Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] tape and disk backup

2008-08-19 05:10:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] tape and disk backup
From: Nils Blanck-Wehde <nils.blanck-wehde AT backofficeservice DOT biz>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:09:53 +0200
Hi,

I know that this question comes up every once in a while, I recently lost track of the "status quo".
Is it possible to write a specific backup-job to different storage devices?
I remember a discussion about "meta-devices" that could consist of different "real" storage devices. Is something like this planned or maybe even already possible?
I think a lot of people use a backup strategie that includes something like this:
Weekly full backup to tape
Weekly full backup to harddisk
Daily incremental backup to harddisk

Depending on the amount of data being backed up and the underlying network infrastructure it can be a problem to do two full backups sequentially.

It would be great to be able to do 1x full + 6x inc backups to disk and then move them over to tape for off-site storage and recycle the harddisk volumes.
And / or it would be great to have bacula write the files it just got from some fd to disk AND to tape so that the data wouldn't need to be transported over the network twice. Plus you would have to IDENTICAL backups on tape and on disk and not just two similar backups.

Such features are sometimes called "disk-to-disk-to-tape" or "backup consolidation".

If things like this aren't neither possible nor planned I don't want to start the diskussion again. I just wondered what the status quo was...

Best regards, Nils

Erwann PENCREACH schrieb:
Hi,

One way that should work is to clone your fileset definition using an other name (disk_bkp and tape_bkp for instance)

You also should use different pools.

Adrian Moisey a écrit :
Hi

I have a storage array and a tape drive for backups.

I would like to do the following:
* backup to disk everyday (incremental)
* one full backup to tape per week
* one full backup to disk per week.

The problem is that if I do my full backup to disk on a Saturday and the full tape backup on Sunday, then all the incremental will be against the full backup to tape.

So whenever I need to do a restore, I'll need to fetch the tape from the storage and restore.

Any ideas how I can get around this?