Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula not mounting tapes

2008-08-11 14:53:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula not mounting tapes
From: "John Berninger" <jwbernin AT med.unc DOT edu>
To: "Nils Blanck-Wehde" <nils.blanck-wehde AT backofficeservice DOT biz>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:53:31 -0400
Nils Blanck-Wehde wrote:
> I can confirm this behaviour. Various commands seem to solve the issue
> for different users, among those are manual mount, update slots,
> unload / reload tape.
>
> Best regards, Nils
>
> Bob Hetzel schrieb:
>> from bconsole, do a
>> mount drive=<drive number>
>> and that'll wake it up.  There does seem to possibly be another bug in
>> the tape handling of version 2.4.2 as I've seen this happen now too just
>> this past weekend.  I've got a 2 drive autochanger.

Neither the "mount" command nor an "update slots" were able to resolve
this problem.  I ended up simply cancelling the job, swapping out tapes
I'd wanted to recycle for brand new tapes, and restarting the backups,
since they'd been hung for several days and (given my experience) it
seemed bacula was more willing to deal with Scratch tapes than to
recycle tapes properly.

Is there anything I can do to try to prevent this in the future?  I'd
really like to be able to recycle older tapes, since I've got other
things I'd like to buy with the money I'm currently throwing at new tapes...

--
John