Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula freebsd

2008-08-07 08:51:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula freebsd
From: Attila Fülöp <lichtscheu AT gesindel DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 14:49:55 +0200
ml AT s-it DOT ch wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using bacula since 1 year to backup 3 freebsd machines daily.
> I works great expect of the any restore is taking a very long time. It
> takes about 2 or 3 hours to restore a single file. We're using a HP
> Ultrium LTO-2 SCSI drive.
>
> device section in bacula-sd.conf:
>
> Device {
>   Name = Bandlaufwerk1
>   Description = LTO2
>   Media Type = LTO2
>   Archive Device = /dev/sa0
>   AutomaticMount = no
>   AlwaysOpen = no
>   Offline On Unmount = yes
>   Hardware End of Medium = no
>   BSF at EOM = yes
>   Backward Space Record = no
>   Fast Forward Space File = no
>   TWO EOF = yes
> }

We had the same problems with a Certance LTO-2 drive. Reason was that
"Fast Forward Space File = yes" didn't work with this drive. Updating
to a an LTO-3 solved the problem.For reference here is my Device
section, the last 5 lines are crucial for drive performance.

Device {
  Name = ArcVaultDrive
  Description = "HP LTO-3 inside Overland ArcVault24 lib"
  DeviceType = Tape
  Media Type = LTO3
  Archive Device = /dev/nsa0
  AutoChanger = yes
  Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
  DriveIndex = 0
  Maximum Network Buffer Size = 65536
  SpoolDirectory = "/var/spool/bacula/data"
  MaximumSpoolSize = 850G
  AutomaticMount = yes               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes
  Offline On Unmount = yes
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;
  Use MTIOCGET = yes
  BSF at EOM = yes
  TWO EOF = yes
  Hardware End of Medium = no
  Backward Space Record = yes
  Backward Space File = yes
  Forward Space Record = yes
  Forward Space File = yes
  Fast Forward Space File = yes
}

> bacula Version: 2.4.2 (26 July 2008)
> freebsd 6.2-RELEASE

You may consider updating to 6.3 RELEASE/STABLE since you may get into troubles
when running concurrent jobs.

HTH

Attila