Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple identical autochangers, same SD, same Media Type. Behavior?

2008-08-01 10:53:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple identical autochangers, same SD, same Media Type. Behavior?
From: "Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa" <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail DOT com>
To: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 10:23:12 +1930
Hi!

Thanks for your answer!

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 8:29 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
>> What would happen if I configure them both with the same Media Type?,
>> will Bacula correctly locate a tape if I switch it from one
>> autochanger to the other?
>>
> No it will not do that.

That's what  I thought.  I got the feeling that it could work because
on the docs it says:

(...) During a restore, assuming a DDS-4 Media Type is associated with
the Job, Bacula can decide to use any Storage daemon that supports
Media Type DDS-4 and on any drive that supports it.

So, as I understand, if I have the same media type for more than one
physical device, bacula could ask me to insert any "media type" tape
on any "media type" drive.  So, I thought: if bacula keep track of the
inventory on the exchangers, and have a way of updating it, it should
*know* that one tape is on "autchangerX" on slot Y, and just use it
(provided it has the same media type)........ This can be useful if
one of the autochangers dies because I could migrate tapes from the
other and everything should work just fine.  Unfortunately, I can't
test this because the xchangers aren't mine, so I can't start doing
experiments with them :( .  That's why I asked.

>> I mean, what would happen if I have one
>> tape labeled and associated with one pool in autochanger0, and then I
>> pick that tape and put it on autchanger1, will bacula correctly locate
>> that tape and use it automatically?, or will it ask me to insert the
>> tape back to autochanger0.
>>
> It will ask you to insert it in the other changer. I think you will
> not have this problem if you use different pools for each changer and
> make sure you do not put media from the wrong pool in a changer. Also
> I do not think you will be able to use the scratch pool to add new
> tapes to other pools when needed.

That's how I configured it:

+ Different media type for each xchanger.
+ Different pools for each xchanger.

And you are right, I don't have a scratch pool :( , I think I could
configure a second instance of bacula-sd on a different port , but I'm
just too lazy right now ;) .