Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] what to do after installing baclula in RHEL4?

2008-07-23 12:21:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] what to do after installing baclula in RHEL4?
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:19:41 +0300
"Arno Lehmann" <al AT its-lehmann DOT de> kirjoitti viestissä
news:488646D3.4000000 AT its-lehmann DOT de...
> Hi,
>
> 22.07.2008 20:18, mohiddin shaikh wrote:
>>   Hi,
>>   Kindly help me out i am not well in Linux.. I jst installed bacula
>> tarbal in RHEL4 & i dont know how to configure & which file to
>> configure..i jst wanna take backup of my window machine from linux....
>
> Didn't you like my previous answer?
>
> In that case I can only recommend to find a consultant to set up
> Bacula for you. You really need to go through the manual - everything
> you need is described in there.
>
> If you encounter specific problems we'll gladly help you resolving
> them, but that would start with you giving the details of your setup,
> what you want to achieve, the exact problem, and what you already
> tried to resolve them.
>
> Arno

I definitely agree what Arno already told about reading the documentation.

However, one hint to stongly consider: Since you are using RHEL4, instead of
installing from a tarball, maybe it were easier to start with bacula binary
rpms that are available in Bacula downloads in Sourceforge. Follow the
download link from Bacula's website, and choose "rpms-contrib-fschwarz" that
contains plenty of -el4 binaries (they are NOT in "rpms" area, due to
different person responsible of packaging).

With these rpms you'll have easier start, they take care of all the rpm
dependencies, set up the bacula database, contain reasonably well pre-tuned
configuration files, and all the scripts to take care of starting of
required bacula daemons with proper user ids etc.
The conf files installed by the rpms will very likely be in /etc/bacula

But still, you need to read the documentation, to understand how Bacula
works, and what you can do with it, and then you'll need to decide how to
configure it for your spesific needs and hardware. And yes, after reading
the documentation you will also propably know the answer to the question
"which one(s) of the many packages there I should install"

Regards,
Timo