Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] FC attached libraries?

2008-07-22 11:01:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] FC attached libraries?
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:01:14 +0200
Hi,

22.07.2008 16:53, Michael Galloway wrote:
> anyone using fibre channel attached librarys for backups and care to share
> their
> experiences?

I'm not using them myself, but know some installations.

Basically, no problems as long as the devices show up as SCSI devices
on your backup server.

I never experienced trouble with Qlogic HBAs, but my most recent
experience is that an IBM library connected via an Emulex HBA makes
trouble.

Seems to be related to some caching which has the effect that software
is noticed too late about error conditions including end-of-tape. This
affects dd as well as Bacula, so it's nothing Bacula-specific, by the way.

> i'm looking at adding a FC connected spectra T50 to my backup system
> and would like to get a feel for any issues involved. thanks.

Well, it would be best to have the vendor provide a lab setup you can
access (remotely) and test. I'd do that for you if you paid me ;-)
(I'm really curious about the issues mentioned above).

Arno

> -- michael

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann