Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Jobs and tape selection

2008-07-17 06:58:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Jobs and tape selection
From: "James Courtier-Dutton" <james.dutton AT gmail DOT com>
To: rgh <birrachiara AT tin DOT it>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:58:14 +0100
2008/7/17 rgh <birrachiara AT tin DOT it>:
> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> I have 2 tapes in a pool.
>> Tape1 and Tape2
>> I have 3 jobs that run one after the other on a daily schedule.
>> The 3 jobs take up less than one tape of storage.
>> On the first day, the 3 jobs run and write to Tape1
>> On the second day, the same 3 jobs run, but I want them to go to Tape2.
>> On the third day, I want it to purge Tape1 and write to Tape1 again.
>> On the forth day, I want it to purge Tape2 and write to Tape2 again.
>
> I use the "volume use duration" directive for a similar setup. If you
> set it to something long enough to complete the backup, but not to much
> to overlap the next run time, everything should work.
> Note: the use duration is counted starting when the tape is written, not
> from job start.

Thank you very much for the response.
Of the two answers, I will be using this one, as although I did not
mention it in the original email, the number of jobs per tape might
increase over time, as new servers are added to the network. This
answer will work no matter how many jobs are run per tape.

Kind Regards
James