Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restore problem - FAT32 HFS+

2008-07-16 06:32:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restore problem - FAT32 HFS+
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:31:57 +0200
Hi,

15.07.2008 17:17, Douglas Schmidt wrote:
> Hello Bacula List.  I've read many articles on this list and found
> solutions to virtually every issue I've had with Bacula here.  I'm
> hoping one of the really technical folks might be able to assist with a
> problem I've now got.
>
> I'm using Bacula 2.2.8 on Fedora 8 for the director.  The client and
> storage daemons are on a remote Mac OSX 10.4 machine, also Bacula 2.2.8.
> <http://2.2.8.>  All backups are compressed and encrypted.
>
> The problem:
>
> A USB hard drive on the Mac failed.  We had a complete set of backups
> and restored to a replacement disk when it arrived.  Fill in the
> standard story here about asking the user to confirm that the backup
> worked successfully and receiving confirmation that the files were restored.
>
> 6 weeks later, the user calls in a panic because he cannot find any of
> his files on the new drive.  Fill in standard story where user admits he
> never had time to actually check that the files were there following the
> restore.
>
> I can go in to terminal on the Mac and see that there are files on the
> disk.  Bringing up information for the disk shows that there is data
> (355 MB in this case) stored in the directory.  If I copy the restored
> directory to another disk drive, Info shows 355MB in the new location.
> However, no files are displayed in Finder.  Directories are all there,
> but not a single file.
>
> I think the key mistake was that the original USB drive was formatted
> FAT32, and the new disk was HFS+ (definitely my error).  When the
> restore was done I suspect that the format change confused the Mac, and
> I now have FAT32 formatted files on an HFS+ formatted disk.
>
> Because of the time that it took to discover the problem, the original
> backup tapes have now been recycled.  The backups that I do have are of
> the restored data on the HFS+ disk.  I have attempted to restore this
> data to a new FAT32 disk.  I get he same result:  Files can be displayed
> in terminal with ls, but they do not show up in Finder.
>
> I have run disk verify and repair from the disk utilities.
>
> Any ideas?

Check the file permissions and ownership.

I suspect that, having come from FAT32, they didn't have these
attributes when restored to HFS+ and the SD probably simply created
them, leaving ownership as the user it runs as, and didn't touch the
permissions.

If that's the case, open a terminal window on the Mac, become root,
and check the disks contents with 'ls -l'. You can change ownership
using the 'chown' command, and permissions using 'chmod'. I don't know
how to do this with the Finder on a Mac...

If that isn't the problem, I have no idea...

Arno

> Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
www.its-lehmann.de