Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Backing up over DSL connection

2008-07-14 18:02:11
Subject: [Bacula-users] Backing up over DSL connection
From: Levander <levander404 AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:02:06 -0400
I've got a server I'm renting from an online provider.  And, I'm wanting to keep back ups of it.  Problem is, the only other machine I've got to back it up to are machines at home which connect to the internet via a DSL line.  The DSL line is very stable, but it's just consumer-grade equiptment.

I'm just now getting into doing formal backups and bacula.  So, before I figure out this stuff, I'm trying to make sure where I want to end up is actually viable.

I'm currently considering two options, my main concern being avoiding the lack of reliability of the DSL connection:

1.) One thing I'm considering is backing up the server on itself.  And then later, downloading the back ups to my machine at home.  But, I don't know how complicated downloading the backup will be.  I know that bacula keeps some kind of database describing the files it has backed up.  Do I need to download the database in addition to the backup itself? The download of course needs to be done in such a way that I can restore the server later when I want to.

2.) I could just set up a bacula server at home and use a bacula client on the server.  I'd have to use something like dyndns so that my server could find my machine at home.  But, how heavy is the traffic between the client and the server if you do it this way?  Every time a bacula client reads a piece of data off the hard drive, does it pretty much immediately send it to the server?  If so, this is probably a bad way for me to go...

There's also another variable that might be an obstacle.  For me to get into the server at all, there has to be an operating system installed.  The online provider of the server doesn't offer me any way to access the disk unless an operating system is installed and booted.

Really appreciate any advice,
-Levander