Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backuping MS SQL

2008-07-14 15:53:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backuping MS SQL
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:52:30 -0400
Previously, Marek Simon said..

> Hi,
> I need to backup some MSSQL server 2005 Database. I found, that there is
> some sqlcmd tool for it. When I run it on command line or through
> windows scheduler, it works. When I run it from bacula, sqlcmd do not
> work. I looked up the system log and I found nothing about the problem.
> Now I have set the MS SQL server run before the bacula backup, it works,
> but I would like to have it in bacula way. Does anybody meet this problem?
>
> Marek

Marek,

In my environment here's what I do for my SQL 2005 databases...
1) Be sure you have lots of extra space somewhere
2) Use maintenance plans which are two steps...
    a) delete backups > some number of days... basing that number of
days      on how much space you have
    b) backup each db to a separate file in a separate dir with the file
name having the timestamp on it.
3) So I never miss any newer DB's I have 3 maintenance plans defined,
one for all system DB's with a short retention period like 1 week, one
for all user DB full backups, and one for all user DB log backups.
4) I then back up the backup files using bacula.

If I need to do a restore I use the point in time restore functionality
of SQL Server 2005 using the GUI.  It is of course much quicker if you
don't need to restore from tape... if you do, that gui tells you which
files it can't find.

If you can... have it put the database backups to a different drive than
where you put the DB files, so that they never fill up the drive.  You
also wouldn't want them filling up the boot volume either of course.
You may find that you have to reduce the number you specified above as
more databases get added and more data gets stored in them.