Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] spooling to "tmpfs"

2008-07-14 09:02:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] spooling to "tmpfs"
From: Jesper Krogh <jesper AT krogh DOT cc>
To: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:01:56 +0200
Martin Simmons wrote:
>> But my backup de-spooling speed sucks (at best):
>> 10-Jul 11:31 bacula-sd JobId 16716: Despooling elapsed time = 03:06:23,
>> Transfer rate = 715.3 K bytes/second
>> 10-Jul 11:31 bacula-sd JobId 16716: Spooling data again ...
>> 10-Jul 11:34 bacula-sd JobId 16716: User specified spool size reached.
>> 10-Jul 11:34 bacula-sd JobId 16716: Writing spooled data to Volume.
>> Despooling 8,000,008,095 bytes ...
>>
>> Note . .. in the first 4-5 incremental jobs I actually go ~80MB/s on it, so
>> it has just degradede over night.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Is the drive shoe-shining?
>
> What does iostat show about the devices during despooling?
>
> Have you tested the performance of tar writing to a tape from the tmpfs?

It hadn't got the spool-size reduced, so it started swapping that
decreased the performance. Now it works excellent. I occationally get as
high as:
14-Jul 14:45 bacula-sd JobId 16880: Despooling elapsed time = 00:01:17,
Transfer rate = 103.8 M bytes/second

The transfer speed is not "constant" but that may be due to
compressionrates of the actual data. The worst has been over 60 MB/s
anyway, so this is excellent for my backup-requirements.

--
Jesper