Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] media type awareness

2008-07-11 03:16:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] media type awareness
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:15:53 +0200
Hi,

11.07.2008 09:03, Gregory Orange wrote:
> Here's another issue I'd like to know more about, and perhaps a request.
>
> We have an LTO3 drive and an LTO4 drive, in the same tape library.
> Bacula's "Media Type" directive seems to be merely a string which gets
> matched, rather than include any understanding of tape formats. For
> example, LTO3 tapes can be read in the LTO4 drive, but Bacula will
> refuse because they're 'different'. I know I can hack it by calling them
> all "LTO" but then we can get the issue that Bacula might put an LTO4
> tape in the LTO3 drive - yuck.

Yes.

> So, is there any potential support for stronger media awareness? I
> haven't found anything in my searches.

No support from Bacula. There are ideas to define a list of media
types that can be read and written per storage device (I don't know if
it made it into a formal feature request), but no work done.

If you start a project to implement it, I suppose you'll get good
support from the users as well as the developers :-)

Arno

> Cheers,
> Greg.

Arno Lehmann