Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Way to limit job size?

2008-07-02 03:23:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Way to limit job size?
From: Gregory Orange <gregory.orange AT metoceanengineers DOT com>
To: Robert Wirth <Robert.Wirth AT dfki DOT de>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 15:22:44 +0800
Robert Wirth wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I wonder if there's a way to limit the backup job size or runtime
> for incremental jobs only.  I guess, no.
>
> The particular problem is, that users, from time to time, are placing
> some needless logfiles in the work diskspace.
> We told to our users to use symbolic links to log space etc, but they
> don't understand (or don't remember or what else).
> We defined lots of exclusion rules, but they ever will create filenames
> that don't match :-(
> Then, the daily incremental backup might be 550 GB instead of 50 GB
> (as at the past day...)

Could you put in filesystem quotas or permissions management (ACLs or
whatever), so they can't write such large data to the wrong place? To me
this issue points to policy & practices by staff, rather than technology
- although technology can assist.

Cheers,
Greg.

--
      Gregory Orange             Phone: +61 8 9387 7955