Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] pros and cons of options for device and tape management

2008-06-18 11:48:01
Subject: [Bacula-users] pros and cons of options for device and tape management
From: James Bowes <james.bowes AT shaw DOT ca>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 08:44:16 -0700
Hi.

One thing that me concerned about tapes in bacula is the options. I should say confused instead. I have the following options in my bacula-sd.conf for the Storage section:

Device {
  Name = DLT                     #
  Description = DLT8000
  Media Type = DLT
  Archive Device = /dev/nst0
  AutoChanger = yes
  Drive Index = 0
  Offline On Unmount = no
  Hardware End of Medium = yes
  BSF at EOM             = no
  Fast Forward Space File = yes
  TWO EOF                 = no
  AutomaticMount = yes               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes
  LabelMedia = yes
  #RemovableMedia = yes;
#  RandomAccess = no;
  # Enable the Alert command only if you have the mtx package loaded
  Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"

What are the pros and cons for the options Hardware End of Medium, BSF at EOM, Fast Forward Space File and TWO EOF? I'd like to make as sure as possible that the configuration would not cause a loss of data on the tape due to end of media or end of file marks.

Thanks in advance.

--james