Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Where to put Bacula's script files?

2008-06-17 01:31:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Where to put Bacula's script files?
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:31:21 +0200
hi Timo

Timo Neuvonen schrieb:
> While updating from 2.2.8 to 2.4.0 (CentOS 5 install from rpm), lot of files
> move to new locations. AFAIK, this is to comply with some standards, which
> sounds great to me though I don't understand it very much that deeper...
>
> While editing the new path to mtx-changer, a question arose:
>
> To better follow the standards where to put files (and possibly being some
> day able to run SElinux that I currently don't use)
>
> - if I need to modify the bacula-supplied mtx-changer script, is it
> recommended to keep it with a new name in the same directory, or put it
> somewhere else, since now it becomes into a part of my local configuration,
> though it still is an executable.
>  -- this used to hang in the directory /etc/bacula, now the bacula-supplied
> script is located in /usr/lib/bacula. The first alternative contains now
> only conf files, and the latter (lib) does not sound nice for locally edited
> files...
>
> - where should I keep self-written run before/after scripts
>  -- this used to be /etc/bacula too, together with all kinds of other bacula
> stuff, but now there are only conf files after clean install. Is this still
> a decent place for configuration-dependent executable files?

you could put your own files whereever you want - as long as you know
where they are. :)

FHS
(http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.htmlhttp://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html)

tells "/usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries
that are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts."

and for /usr/local:
The /usr/local hierarchy is for use by the system administrator when
installing software locally.

so i would say if you wan't to comply FHS standards, you put them into
/usr/local/lib . i put all programs in /usr/local which are not
installed with rpm/dpkg system - so you have the overview which software
you haven't installed with apt-get/rpm/yum/etc. Normaly /usr/local/bin
is in PATH before /usr/bin so that the local/bin takes precedence.

- Thomas